Thursday, November 06, 2008

An Arty Morning

Every Wednesday morning I head off to our local Art Gallery to meet with other Art society members to create Art, talk about Art and once a month to listen to a lunchtime lecture on a variety of different themes. Yesterday was a treat as talented artist Kym Barrett spoke to us about the theme of her current exhibition: `In search of the Golden Thread'. You can see some of her Art in the background. Her work is really special and we all learnt a lot from her talk.

Here I am at work on our current project which is decorating palm fronds. This is a great example of re-cycling as these `supports' are free. You do have to live in area which grows palm trees to find them though. I plan to use mine to hold small bowls of snacks at barbecues etc. I really enjoy Art Society as it always fun and inspiring and because we meet at the Gallery there is always additional inspiration to be gained from the current exhibitions


Here is another one painted by Ros, one of our members. Her effort is really colourful - gold on the inside. She painted the outside in bright colours and adhered small mirrors with liquid nails. Ros plans to hang hers on her verandah on a swivel.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say Hi. Fantastic idea Helen, very inspiring. Thanks for showing it. I would love to see how your palm frond turned out.

indybev said...

Yes, please do share your frond with us when it's finished! This proves that artists can turn absolutely anything into something lovely to look upon! Thanks for sharing.

Ozstuff said...

I would never imagined those palm fronds could be put to such good use! My daughter lived in Townsville for three years. I used to commute from Perth on a regular basis and one of my jobs was trying to keep pace with the fronds from all her "self-cleaning" palms. I would love to see your finished product, Helen. The one painted by your friend Ros is beautiful. (I see you are left handed - does that mean you have trouble with dragging wet paint across the canvas?)

Taluula said...

I love it when people can think outside the box and see how an object can turn into something else entirely. I hope that makes sense Helen. I do hope you'll show us your finished product.

Anonymous said...

what fun to be able to participate in a lovely setting and create art! I am so jealous. Yes, please show your finished art!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...