Last week Alan and I travelled interstate to attend my mother Doreen's funeral, She was 81 and it was her time to go; she had been living in a nursing care facility for some years, battling Dementia and none of us wanted to keep her here in this life which she could no longer enjoy. We hope now that she is with our Dad as they were so much in love all their married life. It was a beautiful service attended by friends and family and we all felt she would have fully approved of it - in fact maybe she did have a hand in it. Afterwards we had morning tea and later we all went out for lunch at a beautiful restaurant overlooking the sea at Terrigal. One of the best things was getting together with my family - my brother and sisters, nieces and nephews and uncles and aunts, I hope its not too long until I see them all again as they are just `the best'.

This is one of my favourite photos of Doreen, taken when she was 19, in Germany with the Navy and just loving life. In the Eulogy my family described her as being `passionate, creative and intelligent' and she certainly was all of those things.

As always at a gathering of our family we took the `group photo'. I love this one which really seems to show all our different personalities. If we all look pretty mellow, well we had just had a glass of wine or 2 with lunch and I think we all had that feeling that we had passed Mum's `final test' with flying colours.
3 comments:
Helen, I am so sorry to learn of the passing of your much loved Mum, Doreen, and what a beautiful lady she must have been. It is so sad but she is in a better place than the one she has been locked away in. Terrigal is a lovely part of the world and I can see from your great family photo that it was a sunny day and that all of you managed big smiles, no doubt picturing your mother finally reunited with your Dad. Thanks so much for sharing this with your friends.
My sympathies are with you, Helen. I lost my "mum" in much the same way, and her last years were such painful memories, time had to pass before I could recall the happy times. It's a lovely photo of your family, and thanks for sharing it with us!
Helen I am so sorry to hear you lost your Mum, but it's good to hear you knew it was her time. My thoughts are with you.
Post a Comment