Friday, August 17, 2007

Our Kitchen Garden Takes Shape


The weather has been absolutely perfect for gardening this week so we have really been hard at work in our Kitchen Garden and it has been exhausting and totally pleasurable at the same time. We have been digging out weeds, creating beds, laying paths, planting, mulching, raking, hoeing, watering and picking some of the fruits of our earlier labours. I love working in this garden as it is so aromatic, even weeding is a joy. In this photo you can see how it is taking shape. In the foreground is lavender, just to the right of that is a large rosemary bush and beside that some Italian Parsley. Planted in our newly dug beds are 2 different types of tomatoes and behind them in the rabbit proof enclosure is lettuce, rocket (aragula), and some chinese greens. Also some shallots. Here there are also loads of mini tomatoes coming up which have self seeded. The vine on the left is a Passionfruit which is recovering from the frost nicely - we picked one today. The green shed in the background will be home to 2 chooks when we have fenced it. This is needed to protect them from Dingoes and foxes which can attack even during the day. At the moment some self sown Paw Paws are growing nicely in here. Behind that you can see our `backyard' disappearing into the distance, pretty brown at the moment. Out of the picture we have several huge Paw Paw trees, all loaded with fruit which we are giving away, and to the left of our chook house is a Lime tree which is also loaded with fruit. We also have a huge lemon basil bush which is perennial and more like a large shrub, I love working around this one. Next I plan to plant nasturtiums which are edible and look lovely in amongst the other mainly green plants. Gardening is a wonderful activity, a great way of keeping fit, relaxing and producing food at the same time. Real multi tasking, I love it :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must be fantastic to have all that food growing right outside your door. Well worth the effort. We only have space and more importantly, sun, for a tomato plant, rosemary, and garlic chives. You've got me thinking that maybe I could grow a lime in a large tub down on my sunny patio. I hope your chooks stay safe and happy and give you lots of eggs and that those damn wabbits don't give you too many problems!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the garden tour, Helen. I swear, I could smell the fragrance of lavender and rosemary, the pungent odour of greens, not to mention the tart scent of lemon on the way through!

Anonymous said...

I love the description of your garden Helen...especially the things I can't grow here...too cold and too much shade...the paw paws, the lime tree and passionfruit. Sounds wonderful!

I have lots and lots of lavender in my garden and someone somewhere is getting some wonderful lavender honey for it's just loaded with bees!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...