
I have been reading an inspiring book called `Kaleidoscope' which amongst other things challenges you to really push your creative envelope. One of the exercises is to do a self portrait and this begins with a photo of yourself (ideally taken and chosen by yourself) which you then proceed to alter and add to etc. I have taken this one step further and I have done a `digital painting' of myself. This is Step 1. Next step is to print it out and then adhere it to a canvas and then to embellish, add to it, alter it, in whatever way inspires you. So here is step 1. I will post Step 2 when it is done. You can also write a poem or some text, whatever floats your boat. Doing a self portrait is a bit weird. I knew I had succeeded when I started to become a bit discomfited by the image on the screen looking back at me. Certainly an interesting exercise.




4 comments:
This is fantastic, Helen! I was discomforted too......the eyes are amazingly lifelike and follow you around the room.
Can't wait to see the canvas with embellishments.
It's an amazing SP Helen. I agree self-portraits can be very challenging, but they are also very revealing and therapeutic. I read somewhere that you should do one every 12 months or so, to reflect the new place you are in. We don't realise how much we change over the years, inside and out.
Wow! I love what you've done with this photograph/digital portrait! I'll be interested to see the finished portrait too. I can understand why this would be discomforting because I don't think we ever really see ourselves when we look into a mirror, or maybe we don't look at the complete picture...just pieces of ourselves as we put make up on etc.
This is just great!
Helen that is amazing!
You did a fantastic job!
Hope you are well!
Post a Comment