Friday, June 09, 2006

What a Week !

"Be kinder than necessary. 'Cause everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

I loved this quote which I found in one of those circular emails today, it struck a real chord with me as I had been thinking just that same thing this morning. Everyone - even those people who on the surface seem to `have it all' , is fighting some kind of battle, so that is my thought for the week. I always think of this when we are at R.D.A. where everyone is `kinder than necessary'. On another Blog this week I found this wonderful extract from a book called "A Slant of Sun' by Beth Kephart, a writer and mother of a child with a developmental disorder.

`When I fly I think about all the spirits we're passing through. The few I knew and the billions I didn't, their vapors mingling in the air all around us. My grandmother is up here somewhere, pinning a hat to her head; my favorite uncle decorating the universal Christmas tree; my father's parents; my great-aunts and -uncles; children I have heard about on the news; great writers. I think of them when I am aloft in an airplane. I think of the extreme significance of every single human being and the vast insignificance of us all. The earth is just one rock in a universe without limits; we exist in the blink of an eye. We are impossibly small against this dimensional hugeness, and yet we care, gigantically, about our place in things, survival. We attend to the tiny details of our lives, attend to one another, make room for the miracle of a child. Put his toys in a bag and draw him mazes and take him to places, for adventure. Fight the systems and labels on his behalf so that he, in turn, can fight the systems for others. "

This is a book about the power of love and commitment. At its heart, so very tender and true.


I haven't blogged for a while as we have been way too busy for my liking. Our Carriage Club is preparing for our Annual Carnival on July 1st and 2nd and we have been fundraising, having endless meetings and as Treasurer I have been busier than at any other time of the year. I spent nearly all day on Tuesday doing diagrams of each obstacle event on the 'puter and I am still not finished *!!**. We are also looking around for a smaller property, this may or may not happen depending on what we find but it is very time consuming. Looking at Real Estate can be a very frustrating experience especially as we have specific criteria which is hard to meet. In the end we know we will have to compromise somewhere and some of our horses, a lot of our `stuff' and all the cattle will have to go but that's life. :) We are feeling that the time is right to downsize so fingers crossed it will all work out.

Then yesterday as we were double parked and unloading a wheelbarrow full of raffle prizes from our truck Alan's back went out and he was down for the count. This happens every few years, usually when he is under pressure. So now he is in bed and I have my nurse's cap on. Luckily there was a Doctor's surgery at the shopping centre where we were selling the raffle tickets so Alan was able to see a Doctor, borrow a wheelchair, get a script for Tramal and an injection to get him home. What was really great was how nice and helpful all these total strangers were to us. It seems this Doctor has a 3 week waiting list yet he saw Alan almost straight away. It all reinforced my faith in human kindness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Helen, thank you so much for that quote and the extract from the book. I just love it and it dovetails so well with how I feel too. It was interesting to read your blog as my husband and I are thinking of downsizing too in the near future. I hope your husband's back heals quickly - tell him someone in Canada has some sympathy for him - my back does the same thing in times of stress!

Angela said...

Helen thanks for sharing the quote.. it is beautiful and gave me goosebumps. I hope that Alan's back gets better soon, though I'm sure he loves you in your nurses hat lOL. Good luck with the property hunting too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...