Sunday, October 15, 2006

A few good books

I was shocked to realise yesterday that I haven't been to the library since early May just before we went on our holiday to Bargara, an indication of just how busy we have been since then. I have been reading though as I had my Birthday Books and a couple I bought for myself. I am currently reading `Just a little Italian' by Sally Hammond about her travels in the south of Italy. This is a less travelled part of Italy and as I have been to some of these places I am really enjoying this book. I am definitely an `armchair traveller'. I love reading travel stories of all sorts and about any place at all but Italy has a special place in my heart. I have also just finished reading the biography of artist Margaret Olley `Far From A Still Life' by Meg Stewart. I have always loved Olley's work and of course now she is an official `National Treasure'. I really enjoyed this book and it has inspired me to do some `still life painting with pixels'. Next in a completely different genre Sue gave me `Running with Scissors' by Augusten Burroughs for my Birthday. This book was very different and not one I would have bought myself (one reason I like receiving books as gifts) and I found it really fascinating. One for all those people who thought they were brought up in a weird family - Burroughs can outweird everyone :) I have also been reading `Stupid White Men' by Michael Moore - very interesting. It reminds me that most of the men I admire the most are black. Food for thought.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...