
Yup so now you know and Kate and Patti were right and Cate was wrong. I agree with the idea (from Mark Twain I think) that golf is a nice walk spoiled LOL. Kate thinks I'm adventurous, well maybe when I was younger........ now I am not quite as keen to take risks of any sort although I am still impulsive / spontaneous and I like to try different things as often as I can. On Wednesday this week I dropped into our local Art Gallery to view an exhibition called `On Track' , 32 works by contemporary West Australian indigenous artists over the last decade. I was lucky enough to hear a floor talk by Brett Nannup. the son of one of the artists. Brett was visiting from WA and he is the Deputy Director of the Berndt Museum of Anthropology, part of the University of WA. It was wonderful to wander around the exhibition with Brett, hear him talk about each of the works and to have the opportunity to ask him questions, not just about the artworks but about Aboriginality as well. And all this for free. The picture above is `Dead Cow' by Judy Broun from Perth. I love it.
The exhibition title is not just about `being on track, that is, about reaching expectations imposed by another; it is about having a track to follow, about proceeding along a route, one's own route albeit shared by family members and more distant kin, within the constraints of personal experience and dreamed goals.
This month's Digital Trading Card Swap is titled `Life's Journeys' so these words certainly spoke to me about that theme which I am working on right now.




1 comment:
This exhibit sounds great - I like the idea that we should follow our own path, instinctively.
I knew you would never be silly enough to play golf!
Post a Comment