Sonia Delaunay was a Ukrainian French Artist who married the Artist Robert Delaunay with whom she founded the movement `Orphism' noted for its geometric shapes and strong colours. Interestingly she is also credited for having invented the polka dot. I think it must have been very hard to be married to another artist - especially one who worked in such a similar style, 2 artistic egos and temperaments in one house would have been difficult but they seem to have merged their talents and have been very happy. I was particularly interested to read about her work in textiles, prints and interior design, fabrics, wall coverings and clothing as I think she was extremely innovative and ahead of her time. The work I chose as inspiration was one that did not include any geometric shapes or strong colour. It is a print called `Farewell my Summer Love' and it is very soft and beautiful. It shows I think the range of her talents. http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Sonia-Delaunay-Terk/Farewell-My-Summer-Love-I-Print-C10301890.jpeg So have a look and see what you think.





1 comment:
The use of colour in this one is delicious.
I'm an 'autumn' person and these make me feel very much at home.
Post a Comment