Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Maidenhair Print


Last week at my Art Group we were learning print making. For this the preparation for me involved picking a piece of Maidenhair Fern and gluing it to a strong piece of card to make a printing plate. Then I coated it with 2 coats of Shellac and let it sit for a week. Last week I painted it with a sienna colour and ran it through our wonderful old printer at the Gallery, printing it onto a piece of hand made paper. The plate will be re usable. Of course my print was `officially' finished then but I wanted to do more with it. My next step at home was to scan my print and then make a piece of art in Photoshop Elements. For any Digital Artists viewing this, the background is a freebie from April Mouse. I duplicated my fern scan and then blended it in. I have since printed it and I am very happy with the result. I used gloss paper as it was all I had, but I am going to try it on some canvas and see how that looks.

3 comments:

Kate I said...

This is just stunning Helen! Love it. Thanks for explaining your process too.

ctrl-alt-doll said...

typing one handed... thanks for dropping by my blog and for your good wishes.

I love what you did with the fern. The $1 shops have canvas on frames for very few dollars. Not sure how you would print on it though. It would be easy enough to pull the canvas off the frame and staple back on. You'll have to put up the final result on the blog when you're finished. I'd like to see it.

liannallama said...

wow! What a wonderful class that must have been and the print is so lovely!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...