Monday, January 22, 2007

Goodreading Magazine

This is a really wonderful magazine for booklovers, I pick it up at our local library and if I see a book I like I can then order it from the library online, or if I am feeling like a treat buy it on line. I usually only buy a book if I `know' I will read it more than once, in other words if I know it will fit into my library as a `bookfriend'. It cost $7.50 to buy this magazine but I notice there are always heaps of recent copies at the library. The magazine features reviews of books of all types including children's literature, and interviews with writers and can introduce you to some really interesting and different writers. Today I was reading in the August 2006 edition, an interview with a Russian writer Boris Akunin (this is his pen name) his real name is Grigory Chkhartishvillihas - now that is an unusual name. He has written a series of detective stories set in Czarist Russia featuring a dashing sleuth named Erast Fandorin - I really love that name. His latest novel has a new detective - a nun called Sister Pelagia. He says and I quote ' The style of these novels will be very feminine. They will be like a river which flows along a valley, taking unexpected turns, quietly and slowly, so you just have to follow the narration'. This one has just come out in English so I will be looking for it at the library. We are lucky here in Gympie, for 50c we can reserve a book and they will also source it at other libraries if they don't have it. Libraries are such a wonderful free community resource.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...