I have been reading on Kate's Blog about her thoughts on her names - I love hearing stories about other people's names, both first and family, and hearing about how their names were chosen and how they may have altered their name over the years. I also love the names people choose for their pets - some are so clever. I went to a seminar once where this was used as an icebreaker and it was so interesting. We learned a lot about each other from this exercise. For example one girl was named Lee after an American boyfriend her mother had during the war (no he wasn't her birthfather). My name Helen was my parent's second choice - the first was Ruth. Hmmmm I don't really like either of these names because they can't be shortened or lengthened. I know this is one reason for choosing a name but it is nice to be called (for example) Liz at home and Elizabeth at work, and Beth by your best friend etc etc. Helen is just Helen and can be very formal. Years ago Helens were `Nellie' and I call myself `Diginellie' on all of the web forums I visit, but I don't think I am a `Nellie'. New parents typically spend months deciding on a name, - it must be frustrating when after all this your child grows up and says `I hate this name and I'm changing it'. I was reading today about an actress who has a son called Lewis Lewis, I feel sorry for this little guy already but perhaps he will grow into it. We have a cat named Lewis and it suits him, he answers to it anyway and if he didn't like it I bet he wouldn't. We should all be allowed to choose our own names at puberty as a sort of entry to adulthood. I think I would have chosen something that had meaning for me at the time. I have always loved the name Charmian and Charmian Clift is one of my favourite writers, perhaps when I re invent myself this is the name I will choose.
This week life has been all about meetings for us, a carriage club meeting on Friday night, a sub committee meeting on Monday night, a R.D.A. meeting on Tuesday night...... and on it goes. So yesterday I found time to do some reading, (I am reading `Salvation Creek' and a review is forthcoming) and some Artwork on the 'puter. I did this stamp for a challenge but I think I will work it up to a larger 8x10 size and then get a poster made. I really would like to have this one on the wall :) 





2 comments:
I really love your stamp...the colours are very rich. and I have to tell you, I really like the name Helen. It has always made me think of someone with poise and grace...probably because it can't be shortened, it has a certain dignity to it. I was also interested to hear why you call yourself diginellie. it's funny that i used digime which is similar. I picked it in a hurry and was totally uninspired and wish I could change it now but I think I've probably done enough name changing! LOL!
There is a digital art comp. on the www.easybeinggreen.com website. They set out the criteria (can be anything that can be transmitted) and I thought your digital art might suit the criteria. Go for it!
Post a Comment