Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Farewell January

I am never sorry to say farewell to January as it is the month I dislike the most. It is inevitably really hot and humid, it is school holidays so we can't go away anywhere and the shops are crowded with kids (and the Malls with teenagers), it is too hot to work in the garden or even to begin any major projects and last but not least I am totally sick of cricket and tennis. Boy do I sound like a `grumpy old woman'. Anyhow all the holidays are now over and we can start hoping for some cooler weather. I have had a very `cultural week'. Last Wednesday we went to our local Art Gallery to the opening of an Art Exhibition. Alan and I are members of FOG which stands for `Friends of the Gallery' and we are always invited to exhibition openings. These are really good as the artist gives a floor talk and you can ask questions. Afterwards there are drinks and nibblies and a lot of chatter about Art and other things. Then on Saturday night I went to the theatre with 4 friends to see `Steaming'. This play was first staged in London in 1981 and is showing its age - ie the f word and nudity on stage is no longer a novelty, but it is always great to see live theatre as we are a bit starved for this in Gympie. Visiting Brisbane requires an overnight stay so we aren't able to do this too often if at all.

On the plus side I have had the chance to do a lot of reading this month. I enjoyed `Salvation Creek', Susan Duncan's story about taking risks, new beginnings and recovering from loss. It must be challenging to live in a place where you have only boat access, but when it is as beautiful as Pittwater I can see the definite lifestyle advantages. I do think though that it is easier to risk everything if you are alone in the world. Women alone but with dependant children of any age would find it a lot harder I think. Anyhow I can see that this book would be great for a bookclub discussion group. I have also enjoyed reading `Playing with Water' by poet Kate Llewellyn. She writes about creating 2 gardens amongst other things and at the same time includes some of her wonderful poetry and some special recipes. This is one book I would like to own and re read. I am about to start a book called `Chasing the Monsoon' by Alexander Frater who is chief travel writer for `The Observer'. This book recounts his adventures one monsoon season in India. Sounds interesting. I can see a pattern forming here, more and more I am choosing to read non fiction, I really love travel and auto biography and both combined. I guess I just like reading about real people and their experiences of life and places.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about you send me "Salvation Creek" and I'll send you "Eat, Pray , Love" A Fair swap?

I love your keys to happiness.

Please begin a "Best Reads" list, I like a book that comes recommended.

Angela said...

lol, you don't sound like a grumpy old women ;).. I feel the exact same and I'm not that old lol.. roll on winter :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...