Monday, March 03, 2008

Artist Trading Cards


I have been involved in a Digital Artist Trading Card Swap for over a year now. Although we make them digitally, or partly digitally, we mail them out and all of the Artists I swap with live in North America and Europe. It is wonderful to receive the cards in the mail each month as a nice change from the usual junk mail and bills. I am also a member of the local Art Society and about 12 months ago I was invited to give a talk to the members about Artist Trading Cards. Inspired by that, some of the members formed a monthly Artist Trading Card swap group and I have recently joined in that. The result is that I now receive between 10 and 20 Artist Trading Cards each month. Woo Hoo. I love these little `Works of Art' - each one represents a piece of the Artist who created it. I also love the fact that the cards are traded and not sold, so that each Artist can create their cards without a `purchaser' in mind. I think this tends to result in Art which comes from the heart rather than something `trendy' which is designed to sell. Ironically the cards are often coveted as they are beautiful, but they can only be traded or displayed. I have an album for mine and I love to look through it, each time seeing something new that I have missed before. This is my card from the Art Society February Swap, the theme was `Portraits'. I painted this in ArtRage, and the lace `brush' was added in PhotoShop.

1 comment:

Kate I said...

This is such a great piece Helen...very surreal, it almost has an animated feel to it.

You must have several books full by now, with two group exchanges on the go!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...