Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Frameworthy Challenge - Antonio Mancini


This week's Frameworthy Challenge is based on the work of Antonio Mancini, an Italian Painter who was born in 1852 and died in 1930. Mancini focused mainly on portraits, and as I have always been fascinated by portraits I chose to use a studio photograph of Alan's Great Grandparents with their family as a way of making a `connection' with Mancini's work. This is the image I used as an inspiration: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/01/03/arts/0104-MANCINI_7.html


I have always had issues with conventional photographs and frames as a way of `seeing' our ancestors. They were living breathing people with hopes and fears just like us, yet the somewhat stilted images of formally dressed people in photographs taken in the early 1900's tell us very little about them. I have titled this Collage `Where have they gone to' which is based on the words on the transparent frame around the image. They read `Where have they gone to - to find new things under the sun - a REAL adventure in a new direction, may drop a line now and then........ I really do believe that our ancestors drop us a line now and then if we are alert enough to notice :)

2 comments:

Annie said...

I've always loved looking at the old photographs, searching for clues about the personalities and realtionships. The clenched hands, the tilt of the head, the way an arm is draped around a child, the sorrow or joy in the eyes, and if family- the resemblances.
This is a beautiful work. Make sure Alan's family see it.

patti said...

What always strikes me about portraits from this era is the solemnity - I'd love to see one where everyone is giggling! Surely they did!

I agree with Anne, this is a very special creation for family to have.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...