Thursday, March 06, 2008

International Women's Day


Saturday March 8 is International Women's Day. I have just been reading a book called `The Promise' by Lisa Clifford. Daughter of June Dally-Watkins, Lisa writes about marrying an Italian man and moving to Italy. In one chapter she talks about how International Women's Day is celebrated in Italy.


`Women gather for lunch, dances and parties, mothers take their daughters out to Dinner and Sisters make the effort to meet with each other or their best female friends. Husbands, boyfriends, Fathers and Sons give their women a sprig of Mimosa flowers. Schools organise Art Sessions where the children paint or make collages of Mimosa to take home to Mumma or Nonna. For 24 Hours women are honoured and uplifted. On this day it feels as though, the universal sisterhood of women with its special brand of female nurturing love, is truly united and venerated'........... So I will be thinking of all the Women in my family and my `family of friends' on that day. Mimosa is not in flower here at this time but I might pick a rose instead :)

1 comment:

Kate I said...

This sounds like an amazing way to celebrate IWD! I think next year I'm going to organize a "lunch" for my favourite women to get together and celebrate our sisterhood. Thanks for the great idea Helen!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...