
The last week in July is always our coldest and this morning we woke up to Minus 1 degree celsius and a frost all over our lawn. In this photo which I took just after we woke at about 6 am you can see the frost plus in the foreground the greener grass which Alan hosed. When he picked up the hose it was stiff. Inside the house it was 13c when we woke, but after having lit the fire we are warming up.
Finally my 2 week Jury Duty is over - there were 2 Empanellments and I missed out (final selection is by a random draw). But I did have to go in for Roll Call on 4 different days, twice on one cold, wet and windy day last week. The experience has left me with great admiration for anyone who is selected for a Jury Panel. Just ordinary people from all walks of life who are called on to perform a very difficult and sometimes harrowing Civic Duty. There were about 40 of us, all strangers, but we gradually got to know each other during the long waits. I got the feeling that no one `wanted to be there' - it is an alien and daunting environment, but having said that everyone was determined to do `their duty'. Jurors everywhere I salute you.




1 comment:
Helen, I had no idea that it could get that cold where you live! I envisioned winter in northern Australia as being like a warm fall day for us!
I'm glad you had the fire to get toasty and warm. Bring on the hot chocolate and marshmallows!
Post a Comment