


I had a wonderful day yesterday at GoMA, viewing some of Picasso's works and his collection. At the same time there is a Sydney Nolan Retrospective showing at the regular Art Gallery so we were just able to squeeze that in after a quick lunch break. I also found time to visit the shop and pick up a book and some fridge magnets. It was so interesting to learn different things about Picasso and the way he amassed his collection and displayed it in his home and many studios. Seems like he used to haunt thrift shops and found one very valuable painting for just a few francs, and he also traded his work with other artists he admired.
I discovered that his favourite painting is the same as mine, a still life of Oranges by Matisse - except that sadly mine is a print which I purchased in 1995 at the Matisse exhibition in Brisbane. :) I spent almost half an hour looking at the original, just amazing. I also discovered that he liked to lean paintings on walls, on the ground and move them often, and I do this too. These photos show a group of us at the exhibition and my print, displayed on the floor.




No comments:
Post a Comment