Monday, January 26, 2009

Australians All Let us Rejoice

Today Alan was involved with the Light Horse Troop at the unveiling of the last of the murals in Memorial Lane in Gympie. The ceramic murals in this Memorial Laneway are unique in Australia and are all beautiful works of Art. They commemorate the services of all Australians in conflict, peacekeeping and the home front. This photo shows Alan standing in front of the mural which depicts WW1.
THe last mural which was unveiled today commemmorates the cost of war in human life.

Here it is after it was unveiled.



While we were waiting I spoke to a lady whose brother in law wrote the words above in his diary the day before he was killed at El Alamein in the Middle East. I was able to find a picture of a Corvette on one of the murals which was similar to the ship my father served in in WW2. It was a special and meaningful way to celebrate Australia Day. We are free today only because of the sacrifices made by so many.


2 comments:

indybev said...

Thank you for sharing a bit of your Australia Day, Helen. The murals are very moving, and I could feel the sense of patriotism from your comments.

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful Helen. I haven't been to Gympie in years but really must make a point to call in just to see this. And I think it's great that Alan is in the Light Horse. We have a lighthorse at Canungra that attends all the parades and events around this area.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...