Saturday, January 24, 2009

Inspired by Shepard Fairey


This week's Frameworthy Challenge had us all inspired by the amazing portrait of Barack Obama by Shepard Fairey. You can see this and more of Fairey's work here http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&rlz=1I7ADBR&q=Shepard+Fairey&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title I decided to work with a sepia photo of my mother Doreen taken in 1942 when she was 15 years old. At that time she was living in Sheffield England which was the target of frequent bombing raids. I realised as I was working with this picture that my mother's entire teenage years were overshadowed by fear and war. It must have made an enormous impact on her life. You can't see it in the photo but she was wearing a brooch which was an image of a spitfire plane. I love Fairey's work and I enjoyed this challenge immensely.

1 comment:

Taluula said...

I saw this at SBG and it's just as fantastic seeing it a second time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...