Monday, March 20, 2006

Good Reading


I have been able to read 3 books this week - no that's not all I do but I don't watch TV, I read fast and I read at lunchtime :) One I didn't enjoy this week was `My Sister's Keeper' by Jodi Picoult. This was about a 13 year old girl who was conceived with the purpose of saving her older sister's life, the sister has Leukemia. Anyway when the parents decide it's time to harvest a kidney from the younger daughter she finally cracks and decides to sue them. A very topical theme but the characters didn't ring true for me and the ending seemed contrived. Everytime I read a Picoult novel I am seduced by the storyline and then I get frustrated with it half way through, read the last chapter and swear to never read another. This time I am definitely not going to read another.

I have also been reading a fascinating non-fiction book called `The Roses of No-Man's Land' about the life of Nurses - mainly young volunteer workers during World War 1. Lots of interesting oral history and letters written at the time bring this era to life with all its horror and bravery.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...